The GP39-2 was offered by EMD as a fuel-efficient alternative to their very popular GP38-2 model. This efficiency resulted from the use of a turbocharged 12-cylinder 645E3 diesel engine, as opposed to the non-turbocharged 16-cylinder prime mover in the GP38-2. The use of a turbocharger increased the horsepower output from 2,000 to 2,300hp with four fewer cylinders. One other benefit of the turbocharger is improved operation at higher altitudes where thin air causes normally-aspirated diesels to lose power and produce excess smoke. The largest original fleet of GP39-2s was assembled by the Santa Fe who, over the course of seven years, acquired a total of 106 units.
- NMRA 8-pin plug for DCC
- The same drive as our basic Master Series™, in an affordable locomotive
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels
- Separately applied hand rails and end railings
- Matching cabooses available separately
- Locating dimples for grab irons
- True scale dimensions with accurate details
- Realistic die-cast underframes
- Equipped with AccuMate® Couplers
- As with our Master Series™ GP-38, this model features either a 2,600 or 3,600 gallon fuel tank.
QSI® Quantum System ™ Features Including:
(Atlas Trainman® Gold Locomotives only)
- Speaker system
- Authentic diesel engine sounds
- Squealing brakes
- Doppler effect
- Air let-off in neutral
- Coupler impact sounds when operated with DCC
- Helper mode that mutes the whistle and bell for double heading
- And more!